Technical Director – Volumetric Capture Studio
Engaged Media Studios
Engaged Media Studios, Inc. is a digital media technology development and entertainment production company of seasoned entrepreneurs and creative innovators that specialize in producing transformational solutions, products, and immersive experiences that transcend boundaries in the video game, museum, sports & entertainment, industrial, and government market sectors serving a growing diverse customer base.
Job Type: Full Time, On-Site
Location: Houston, Texas
We are looking for a Technical Director to drive the development of our Volumetric Capture Studio in Houston Texas and lead the stand up, launch and day-to-day operation of the studio.
Primary Responsibilities (What you’ll do…)
- Drive the initial development and stand up of Engaged Media’s volumetric capture studio in Houston, Texas.
- Work closely with creative and technical production colleagues, clients and talent to ensure capture solutions and schedules work seamlessly as part of overall strategy.
- Coordinate closely with the team, clients and other partner stages to ensure best practices and learnings are understood and followed.
- Develop an in-depth working knowledge of the volumetric capture stage production technology and the proprietary processing pipeline.
- Prepare stage and capture systems for real-time on-set capture in collaboration with the Production Director and oversee day-to-day volumetric capture system setup, calibration, and operation during sessions with clients as well as internal projects.
- Manage and coordinate production requirements, enhance the volumetric capture system and provide input into future development and expansion opportunities.
- Ensure quality real-time camera tracking data and the integrity of all captured data.
- Collaborate with the Executive Producer, Director of Production and the production team to create estimated costs for location capture and on-stage production work.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience in Computer Science, Media Arts and Animation, Visual Communications, Visual FX or other qualifications.
- 5+ years of experience with motion capture, virtual and mixed reality production, VFX, and/or animated film production.
- Experience with on-set digital acquisition, motion capture and on-set virtual production technology.
- A strong background and understanding of imaging electronics, imaging systems and proper integration of all components, including camera, capture board, software, and setup resulting in optimal system performance.
- Experience in synchronization in multi-camera arrays, especially in volumetric capture applications.
- Familiarity with PC IT support (hardware, networking, debugging, etc.) and A/V systems, standards/formats, and cabling.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Must be able to execute technically difficult work and maintain a productive attitude under the pressure of live action production.
- Must be highly computer literate with Linux and Windows Operating Systems.
- Must be an excellent troubleshooter to diagnose and solve issues in complex integrated systems of computers, video recording systems, software, and other sensor driven systems.
- Familiar with a variety of concepts, practices, and procedures used in visual effects and live-action film production.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
- Must be detail oriented, highly organized and be able to handle a variety of tasks in an efficient manner.
- Knowledge of Python/PySide or other scripting languages and development
- Able to comfortably manage multiple tasks, communicate status, escalate issues and juggle competing priorities.
- Strong team player with a “can do” attitude, and the flexibility to jump in wherever needed.
By joining our team, you’ll become part of a diverse, vibrant group that is continually pushing boundaries working on meaningful and innovative projects that radically change the way our clients view what is possible, while engaging in transformational initiatives powered by the latest technologies.
Engaged Media Studios is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability, pregnancy or maternity, or other protected characteristics. Engaged Media fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.